Lump Jonah crab, asparagus, greens, homemade croutons and a basil vinaigrette. This salad is the perfect light lunch or dinner that fills you up and leaves you feeling great!
- 2 cups basil
- 3/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup white wine vinegar
- 1/2 clove garlic
- 1 tablespoon shallot
- Zest from 1/2 of a lemon
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 3 cups of bread cubes
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 package romaine lettuce, chopped
- 1 8 ounce container lump Jonah crab meat
- 1 bunch of asparagus (steamed, then chilled and chopped)
- 3-4 small tomatoes, quartered (I used Campari)
- 1-2 avocados, cut in chunks
For the basil vinaigrette:
- Put the basil in your food processor.
- Rough chop garlic and add to food processor.
- Rough chop shallot and add to food processor.
- Add lemon zest, lemon juice, Dijon mustard.
- Add olive oil and white wine vinegar.
- Blend well then taste. Since there is Dijon mustard in the dressing and that is already a bit salty I usually don’t add any additional salt here. If you think it needs a pinch of salt, then go for it.
For the croutons:
- I had Italian loaf on hand but you could use French bread, ciabatta rolls, or brioche. Cut bread into cubes and put in a mixing bowl.
- Drizzle olive oil all over the bread cubes.
- Add dried basil, dried thyme, garlic powder and salt.
- Mix to coat all the bread cubes.
- Cook in preheated oven at 375 degrees for 15-20 minutes until golden brown.
For the salad:
- Chop the romaine lettuce.
- Quarter your tomatoes.
- Cut avocados into chunks.
- Put lettuce on plate and add the lump Jonah crab, steamed chilled asparagus (plan your time to make sure you cook this and chill it ahead), tomatoes, croutons, and avocado. Then drizzle the basil vinaigrette on the salad.