Lump Jonah crab, asparagus, greens, homemade croutons and a basil vinaigrette. This salad is the perfect light lunch or dinner that fills you up and leaves you feeling great!
- 2 cups basil
- 3/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup white wine vinegar
- 1/2 clove garlic
- 1 tablespoon shallot
- Zest from 1/2 of a lemon
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
Homemade Croutons (optional):
- 3 cups of bread cubes
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 package romaine lettuce, chopped
- 1 8 ounce container lump Jonah crab meat
- 1 bunch of asparagus (steamed, then chilled and chopped)
- 3-4 small tomatoes, quartered (I used Campari)
- 1-2 avocados, cut in chunks
For the basil vinaigrette:
- Put the basil in your food processor.
- Rough chop garlic and add to food processor.
- Rough chop shallot and add to food processor.
- Add lemon zest, lemon juice, Dijon mustard.
- Add olive oil and white wine vinegar.
- Blend well then taste. Since there is Dijon mustard in the dressing and that is already a bit salty I usually don’t add any additional salt here. If you think it needs a pinch of salt, then go for it.
For the croutons (optional):
- I had Italian loaf on hand but you could use French bread, ciabatta rolls, or brioche. Cut bread into cubes and put in a mixing bowl.
- Drizzle olive oil all over the bread cubes.
- Add dried basil, dried thyme, garlic powder and salt. Or whatever dried herbs you have on hand: thyme, herbs de provence, oregano, etc).
- Mix to coat all the bread cubes.
- Cook in preheated oven at 375 degrees for 15-20 minutes until golden brown.
For the salad:
- Plan your time and steam the asparagus ahead. I prefer serving this chilled, but you can do warm or room temperature as well. I typically cut off the discolored bottoms of the asparagus first. Put the asparagus in a pan with water and cover with lid. Let it steam on medium heat until tender. Then stick in fridge to chill for 10 minutes
- Chop the romaine lettuce.
- Quarter your tomatoes.
- Cut avocados into chunks.
- Put lettuce on plate and add the lump Jonah crab, steamed & chilled asparagus, tomatoes, homemade croutons (if using), and avocado. Then drizzle the basil vinaigrette on the salad.