An easy side with simple ingredients, these roasted sweet potatoes with toasted hazelnuts hit the spot. Absolutely delicious!
- 3 large sweet potatoes
- 2 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3/4 cup hazelnuts (substitute with pecans if you prefer)
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup (to top potatoes)
- 1 teaspoon chopped parsley
- Cut sweet potatoes in half lengthwise, then in half again lengthwise. Then cut potatoes into chunks. They should all be around the same size so they cook evenly.
- Put potatoes in a large bowl and add olive oil, salt and pepper. Toss potatoes to coat.
- Spread out potatoes on a large sheet pan and cook in a preheated oven at 400 degrees for 15-20 minutes. Turn potatoes half way through cooking. Ovens are different – mine runs hot so it may take longer in yours.
- While potatoes are cooking add hazelnuts to a small pan and cook on stovetop on low heat for five minutes or so, tossing the nuts frequently so they don’t burn. They’ll start to smell nutty when they’re done.
- Dump the hazelnuts onto a clean kitchen towel and wrap them. Let them sit a few minutes steaming to loosen the skins. We want to remove some of the skins, but some will still remain.
- Massage the towel to loosen the skins. Open the towel and transfer hazelnuts to a small bowl. Let them cool completely.
- If you are using the optional parsley garnish you should finely chop the parsley now.
- Once nuts are cooled, transfer to a slider bag. Squeeze the air out and seal shut. Smash the bag with a kitchen mallet or frying pan to break up the hazelnuts.
- When the potatoes are finished cooking, transfer to a serving bowl. Top the sweet potatoes with a couple of handfuls of hazelnuts. Drizzle a tiny bit of real maple syrup over the top. Sprinkle fresh parsley, if you are using.