Comfort food is the name of the game for this fantastic one-pan sausage, pepper, onion and potato extravaganza. A dinner staple for people with busy lives.
- 3-4 large potatoes
- 8 sweet Italian sausage
- 2 green poblano peppers
- 1 red pepper
- 1 1/2 onions (any kind)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- chili flakes, optional garnish
- parmesan shaker cheese, optional garnish
- Before you start the recipe, you should put your sausage in the freezer for about an hour or so. They won’t freeze, but they will become more firm and easier to cut. If you try to cut them without doing this, the sausage casings get wonky and everything falls apart. Once that is done, cut the sausage into one-inch pieces and put them in a large baking pan. Mine was 18”x 15” and worked great for this. You can split it between two baking dishes if you need to.
- Peel your potatoes and cut them into cubes. Keep the pieces uniform so they cook evenly. I used three small potatoes and one large. Put the potatoes in a large bowl.
- Cut your green and red peppers. Cut around the core and seed part. Then cut your peppers into thick strips and then into chunks from there. (video shows all this well)
- Add your peppers to the bowl with the potatoes. Add the olive oil and salt. Mix everything together until it is well combined.
- Combine the potatoes and peppers with the sausage in the baking pan. Toss together and spread everything out evenly.
- Cover with foil and cook in a preheated oven at 400 degrees for 25 minutes.
- While it’s cooking, chop your onions. I like to add mine half-way through the cooking process. That’s my preference. If you want to add everything together at the beginning – go for it.
- After 25 minutes, remove the foil, add the onions to the pan and gently mix the onions with everything else. Put back in the oven for another 20-30 minutes - UNCOVERED this time. Ovens are different. Mine runs hot, so yours may take longer or shorter to cook things. I can tell it’s done when the sausage browns a bit.
- Remove from the oven and serve immediately. Serve with parmesan shaker cheese and chili flakes if you like! Enjoy!
- I used sweet Italian sausage, but if you want it spicy you can use spicy sausage. Or if you like garlic and cheese Italian sausage use that!