Ah, weekend breakfast. I do like to have one special day for some kind of eggy breakfast or brunch. Sometimes it's Saturday and sometimes it's Sunday. I knew I wanted to attempt some kind of fantastic meaty breakfast casserole, but I wanted the proportions to be just right. I didn't want it too eggy. And, decidely, did not want this to be like a quiche, fritatta or stratta. So I give you this less eggy, more bready and meaty breakfast treat. It's super easy to make and absolutely delicious!
You Need Only the Basics for This Fantastic Breakfast Casserole
I consider bread, eggs, milk, cheese and breakfast meat to be fairly common in most of our homes. That's what makes this recipe so darn easy - you probably have most of the ingredients on hand. And there is something special about a weekend breakfast, right? You've slept a little later than usual (if you're lucky) and you've worked hard this week, darn it! This means you deserve a special breakfast treat... and so does everyone you share breakfast with.
The steps are fairly straightforward:
- Cook the bacon and sausage and set aside to cool.
- Cut your French bread into cubes and put in a large bowl.
- Beat your eggs and add to bread bowl. Mix well and let bread soak 10 minutes.
- Shred cheese (or use already-shredded).
- Chop the bacon and sausage.
- Add meats and cheese to egg bowl and mix.
- Transfer to a baking dish and cook at 400 degrees for 25 minutes.
I went with a smaller 11x7 baking dish for this because going with the 9x13 size would make it a little too big. With the smaller size you get 6 good-sized portions. This is the perfect size to allow for home fries on the side. If you wanted to make it slightly more brunchy, you could also do some kind of greens on the side or even a fruit cup. It's up to you. 🙂
Looking for More Breakfasty Ideas?
- Cheddar Stuffed French Toast w/Warm Peach Compote
- Cheddar Herb Buttermilk Biscuits
- Skillet Frittata w/Spinach, Leeks & Feta
- How to Make a Western Omelet
- Roasted Tomato, Asparagus & Gruyere Quiche
- How to Make a Cheese Omelet & Home Fries