I am not much of a baker, but I am a bit picky when it comes to pizza. Generally, I don't care for pizza shop pizza too much. I mean, if I lived in New York or Chicago I would be loving the pizza. Otherwise, it's kinda... meh. You know? I will often reach for the already-made dough at the supermarket for pizza night, but decided to take the dough making into my own hands this time. I went all-in with testing a dough that makes an awesome homemade crust. So here we are: tasty homemade pizza dough with chicken, pesto, fontina & tomatoes.
Chicken and Pesto Pizza Food Memory: Do You Have One Too?
You should make the pizza you want in life - that's what I always say. With this one, I was remembering a delicious pizza I used to get at a small cafe. I must have ordered this particular chicken and pesto pizza on 20 occasions over the years. It was the most satisfying gourmet pizza I ever tasted. I love the combination of chicken and pesto and with a little fontina and tomatoes? I'm soooo in. Their crust was also incredible and the pizza itself was an individual size. No sharing - yay! One key, for me, with this homemade pizza was brushing the dough with olive oil on both sides. It was part of what I loved about the cafe pizza and a necessary component of the flavor profile. It gave me some crispy edges and I love that olive oil flavor in the dough...
Homemade Pizza Can Go In So Many Different Directions
I love pizza night and I've been getting really into it lately. This particular pizza is me trying to recreate the cafe pizza from years ago. You can switch it up with toppings, of course, and use your own favorite ingredients. This recipe is really about how to make a tasty homemade pizza dough. When I tested this recipe, I made one with Italian sausage, diced tomatoes, roasted red pepper and onion that was delish. You can make it with chicken and pesto or you can use the dough recipe and choose your own toppings.
Check your freezer and pantry and see what you have on hand. I used what I had, with the exception of the cherry tomatoes - went out and bought those. I made one pizza with sliced cherry tomatoes and one with sun dried tomatoes I had on hand. Want ground beef and bacon? Go for it! Sliced tomatoes, cheese and fresh basil? Do it!
Topping Ideas for Your Tasty Homemade Pizza Dough:
- Italian sausage (cook it first), diced tomatoes, roasted red peppers, onion, cheddar jack cheese.
- Caramelized leeks & goat cheese (thyme or sage could work with this too)
- Sliced tomatoes, garlic, smoked cheddar and fresh basil
- Bacon, Arugula and Avocado with Parmesan and Jack Cheese (bake dough first - once done add the cheese and let it melt a few minutes in the oven. Let cool a couple minutes, top with arugula (tossed in oil & vinegar), chopped cooked bacon and avocado chunks)
- Mozzarella, ricotta, caramelized onions and garlic oil
Easy Steps for Making the Dough
Easy Steps for Assembling Your Pizza
Craving More Pizza or Snacky Things? I Gotcha Covered
- Sweet Potato Pizza w/Smoked Cheddar and Rosemary
- BBQ Chicken Pizza
- French Bread Pizza with Romesco Sauce & Eggplant
- Savory Puff Pastry Two Ways (Butternut Squash, Goat Cheese, Pecans & Eggplant, Tomato, Gouda
- Crunchy Coconut Chicken Fingers
- The Best Pan Fried Mozzarella
- Mom's Big Batch Spaghetti Sauce