Potatoes. If you are a regular reader of my site (which of course you are) you know potatoes are my favorite food in the world! I'm obsessed. I can't think of another food as versatile as potatoes. Chicken is pretty versatile and I accept that and I love chicken too. However, if given the choice between potatoes and chicken I would choose potatoes every time. For Thanksgiving, I always go with a classic creamy, buttery mashed potatoes. They are so damn good and so, so easy to make.
Classic Creamy, Buttery Mashed Potatoes for Thanksgiving is My Happy Place
There are a lot of fancy things you can do with mashed potatoes. You can add cheddar, cream cheese, sour cream, Parmesan, scallions, chives, garlic, or herbs. There are a lot of flavor combinations you can opt for. However, for Thanksgiving I prefer going a classic route. A simple combination of warm milk, butter, salt and pepper. This is where I call home for Thanksgiving mashed potatoes. Potatoes are sometimes at their best when you do less with them instead of more. These classic mashed potatoes are a great example of this.
Thanksgiving: The One Time a Year You Cook a Turkey!
Welcome to my Thanksgiving Series! This is a feast I made for about $95 and it serves 8-10 people. You’ll probably still have some leftovers too! I bought a whopping 19 ½ pound turkey and economized as much as I could to keep this under $100. I know staying on a budget is important. This is my first Thanksgiving as a food blogger and I hope to add new Turkey Day recipes each year. The dinner here is a budget-friendly, beginner-friendly option.
All the Thanksgiving Series Essentials to Go with Your Creamy Buttery Mashed Potatoes:
- Thanksgiving Turkey & Gravy
- Steamed Brussel Sprouts w/Toasted Pine Nuts & Bacon Bits
- Sautéed Butternut Squash with Caramelized Leeks & Thyme
- Easy Pepperidge Farm Stuffing with Apples & Celery
- Killer Apple Pie with Butter Crust
Need Some Appetizer Ideas for the Holidays? I Gotcha Covered:
- Holiday Appetizers: Phyllo Cups Five Ways
- Warm Shrimp & Gorgonzola Dip w/Pancetta Bacon (can make ahead and reheat)
- Crispy Thai Pork Toast (can make ahead and reheat)
- Honey Butter Bourbon Shrimp (more shrimp -yay!)
- Nana's Weird Hot Dog Appetizer
- Stuffed Mushrooms with Sausage, Panko & Cheddar
- Brown Sugar Bacon Sticks Brushed w/Maple Syrup
- Cute Little Mac & Cheese Mini Muffins (kids go crazy for these!)
- Apple Brie Crostini w/Toasted Pecans & Drizzled Honey
- Garlic Shrimp Crostini w/Romesco & Shaved Parmesan