It's summer here in New England and it is a time of year when the best local zucchini and summer squash are ripe for the picking. I think I eat more zucchini and summer squash in July and August than I do the entire year. This awesome summer salad with roasted veggies and garlic scape vinaigrette is a recipe and video from a year ago. Unfortunately, I lost, then found, then lost, then found it again. I'm normally pretty organized, but somehow I couldn't keep track of this one. So here we are... finally! This salad was made from the amazing veggies and greens from my CSA share at Clark Farm in Carlisle, Massachusetts.
What is Community Supported Agriculture (CSA)?
CSA stands for Community Supported Agriculture and it's a way to support local farmers by purchasing a "share" of the farm before the growing season. You can usually buy half shares, full shares, spring shares, summer shares and other varieties as well. I am very lucky that I live near an amazing organic CSA farm in Carlisle.
There is a pick-up spot in a large barn where you can fill your bags with incredible veggies and greens. There is also an incredible pick-your-own component to most CSA programs. At Clark Farm this ranges from strawberries, blueberries, a huge selection of fresh herbs, snap peas, green beans, all kinds of peppers, and the best cherry tomatoes you will ever eat in your life!
It can be a bit costly, but you can always split a share with a friend to lighten the financial load.
Eating healthy, organic, local vegetables in the summer is one of my favorite things to do. You can make so many amazing summer salads!
How to Make Summer Salad with Roasted Veggies
This one is easy to make and will make you feel so good too. You can add whatever you want to your salad. I love roasted veggies any time of year and they give this salad a hearty feel - definitely an entree size.
Simple Healthy Ingredients Are The Key:
- Organic Greens, summer squash, zucchini and broccolini from Clark Farm are the star of this dish.
- Slice your veggies. Toss with olive oil, salt and pepper and stick in the oven.
- Wash and cut your romaine, arugula and red lettuce.
- Chop more add-ons. I used radish, red onion and cherry tomatoes.
- Think of your favorite crunch factor topping - I went with pistachios. You could also use that crusty bread you've got to make homemade croutons.
- I also had garlic scapes from my farm share and made an awesome garlic scape vinaigrette here. You can do this or use your favorite.
- Assemble your salads and enjoy!